It is the Best of Times

A Tale of Two Cities“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” I know Dickens wasn’t writing about building an author’s platform when he began A Tale of Two Cities, but it feels like it. At no other time in history did we have such technological wonders at our fingertips, but at no other time were there such difficulties being an author. We can no longer merely write; we must blog, tweet, speak in public and generate buzz about our writing, doing the work of marketers and PR consultants in addition to the writing that we love.

We must write, we must platform. We must start with action, we must start by getting to know our characters. We must be character driven, we must be plot driven. We must avoid purple prose, we must use vibrant descriptors. We must use dialogue to advance the plot, we must use description to advance the story. In short, writing now is like writing used to be, but with so much advice from leading authorities that contemporary pieces have evolved into fast-paced tomes minus the literary prose of yesterday.

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” Endings are difficult. It is hard to end stories, hard to end novels, hard to end blog posts. The masters knew how to do it, far better than the cliché of riding off into the sunset or the prince kissing the princess back to life. In my genre, my endings are defined for me. The couple has to get together, happiness in their future. Getting to that ending creatively is a challenge. Once completed, I can put the work to bed and get some much needed rest myself.

Written for WordPress Weekly Writing Challenge “Stylish Imitation” http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/weekly-writing-challenge-stylish-imitation/

About these ads
This entry was posted in DPchallenge and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It is the Best of Times

1. BiqL47Xyz says:

575905 707470Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job! 190417

• Staci Troilo says:

Thanks. I’m glad it was helpful. Stop by anytime; I usually post Monday mornings, but I’ve been known to throw a surprise post in now and again. Good luck with your initiative. I’d love to hear more about it.

2. leahJlynn says:

Love this and agree with all your points in looking for subjects to write and seeking a proper ending. Also nothing truer than being your on P.R. persons too. :)

• Staci Troilo says:

I used to work in PR. Still, it’s one thing to be a PR expert for someone else; it’s quite another to toot your own horn. I guess that’s why they told us in college that writers have to learn to wear many hats!

3. Staci Troilo says:

Endings and titles. Sometimes I just wish the darn things would just write themselves, but then they wouldn’t be mine, you know?

4. P. C. Zick says:

Staci – all of this post is so true. It’s exactly how I feel about my writing life right now. I welcome this new way of having control, but it is overwhelming at times. And endings are always difficult no matter what we’re doing.

5. Joy Keeney says:

Great post Staci!! I struggle with endings as well. Hoping the more I write them the easier they are to come up with. (if I’m wrong please don’t spoil the dream) lol :)

Let's Get to the Heart of the Matter. Share Your Thoughts Here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s